Tuesday, March 07, 2006

 

Otter In "Rehab"!

A couple of months ago I made a post entitled "Canadian Girl" Returns Home!, about a shapely 1960 Otter that Forde Lake Air Services Ltd. had purchased in Australia, and had returned to Canada to fly the crystal skies this spring from their base at Hornepayne, Ontario. Well, Clive has kept me updated with some nice pics, so I thought I would share them. They had initially sought to convert the Otter to the 1000 HP Pezetel engine, but instead have installed the standard Pratt and Whitney 1340 CI 600 HP engine due to time constraints. I love the unique sound of the "augmented" 1340, you can tell for miles when the Otter is returning to "Base". Anyways, lets check out Forde Lake's Otter in varying stages of "undress".


The Otter outside "sunning", and well on the way to being completely "overhauled". Posted by Picasa


The Otter back in the hangar, showing off her P&W 1340 powerplant. Posted by Picasa


Here is a view of the Pratt and Whitney 1340 before installation. 9 cylinders of 149 cubic inches each! Posted by Picasa


Otter wing, just about ready for re-installation Posted by Picasa


The Otter receives her "details" with engine and nose cowls installed. It appears to me that the "hangar boys" have done an extremely outstanding job. Posted by Picasa

Forde Lake Air also has a Beaver, and she also received some "TLC" this winter. Check her out.


Right wing, soon to be installed. Posted by Picasa


de Havilland Canada sure made some fine, "durable" products. Posted by Picasa

By the way, Clive sent me an e-mail, and he needs some parts for the Beaver. Let's hear what he needs straight from the e-mail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,

Need a backing plate, and the clamps for the 2 bladed prop on our Beaver.

Any ideas? We have the old spinner - and I can get that re-chromed - but can't seem to find the parts I need. I thought there would be a lot around because out west a lot of Beavers had to convert to three bladed props for noise pollution regulations, but still can't find any available....

Thanks

Clive
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, if anyone involved in the aviation industry just happens to be reading my "ramblings", and "has a line" on the parts Clive needs, give me an e-mail or make a comment on my blog, and I will pass the info to Clive.

Anyways, in closing, it looks to me like Forde Lake Air Services Ltd. will have some outstanding "aviation assets" with which to conduct summer operations. Good luck, spring will be here soon, and thanks for the pics, Clive!


I love the sound of Pratt and Whitney-powered de Havilland products! Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home