Tuesday, October 17, 2006

 

Sometimes I Give "Good Advice"..........

In early May of this year, I was contacted by a young Bush Pilot who needed some advice, by the name of Louis-Gabriel Lavigne. Well, I e-mailed him back with some words and suggestions that he might find valuable, and I hoped that they would help him make his decision. Here is his original e-mail, my reply, and his last e-mail that I received at the beginning of October.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "LG Lav"

To: "Steven Taylor"

Subject: Re: Flying the North.

Hello Sir,

First off, I wanted to tell you how interesting it has been reading your "Blog" on Aviation.ca. As a young Bush Pilot (24), I've read with great interest about your adventures in the bush. I've got a question for you..... 4 years ago after completing my PPL, I purchased (1/2 share) CF-KAI, a 1957 Cessna 180 which I have been operating on skis and floats. 1200 hours later (800 of which on floats), and after completing a CPL, I'm ready to "hit the market", so to speak. I've been offered a few jobs already and I'm now in the process of deciding which offer to accept.... The first job is flying a Buck 85' out of Schefferville, "the boss" has guaranteed SIC time in their single piston Otter when not flying the 85'. (Otter time, is a dream come true!) However, their season only lasts for 2 and a half months and well, I was looking for a "longer" period of employment this summer. The alternative is flying a Beaver and Norseman out of Pickle Lake, Ont, for the whole summer. My question is: At my age, and with my level of experience (or lack of compared to guys like yourself), Otter time seems priceless.... Is it worth taking a "financial hit" to get some Otter time, or should I accept more hours, and a longer season on the Beaver/Norseman? Both operations have a very good safety record, and are "good employers", according to my friend Jacques Dupuis who's worked for both outfits back in the late 60's and early 70's (He's a former Otter pilot by the way). When I asked him, he shrugged his shoulders and said "Your call, you'll be more then happy working for either one"! (Not much info there eh?!!!) Thanks for taking the time to read this, and again, your Blog provides great insight for the "up and comer's" in our industry.

Regards

Louis-Gabriel Lavigne, Ottawa, Ont.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 May 2006

From: "Steven Taylor"

Subject: Re: Flying the North.

To: "LG Lav"

Hello Louis-Gabriel. I will "cut to the chase" immediately. You want to take the Beaver and Norseman job. SIC (second in command), if that is what that means, does not take the place of PIC time. In the years to come, any operator that is hiring will take a pilot with Beaver time and Norseman time to fly their Otter before they choose a pilot that has sat "right seat" in an Otter. "Swamping" on an Otter gains a
person great experience, but PIC in a Beaver or Norseman is much more valuable. Once you have flown the Beaver and then the Norseman, you will be ready for PIC time in the Otter. It is the natural progression. If you can get Norseman time, "go for it". It is a great airplane, and is "hands on". You will learn a tremendous amount. Once you get experience on the Norseman, transitioning to the Otter will be easy. I hope this helps you.

Cheers,

Steve
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006

From: "LG Lav"

Subject: Re: Flying the North.

To: "Steven Taylor"

Steven,

I wanted to thank you once again for your advice. I just finished my first season in Schefferville, where I started flying a Beaver (C-FLIX) for Air Saguenay. Half way though the season, I was promoted to the conventional Otter (C-FJZN), as the former pilot had a mental break-down and had to leave. It was a great season, filled with bad weather, big loads, and lots of caribou meat boxes! Had I taken the job on the 85' and SIC on the Otter, I doubt that I would have gotten the experience that I did. Your advice was fantastic!

Happy tail winds,

Louis
----------------------------------------------------------------------


Sounds like Louis-Gabriel had a great season, learned a lot, and got some Otter time. Also nice to see someone young who actually wants to "fly the bush". It is by far the best environment for "honing" one's skills early in a career, and if the airlines are in your future, well, when you get there, you will actually "know how to fly". "Good luck", Louis, if an employer like Air Saguenay put you on the Otter after half a season on the Beaver, your skills must be exceptional, and you proved "something to somebody". Now, an Otter on "wheel-skis" for the winter, there is a "challenge" for you!

Cheers,

Steve


This is 1966 Otter C-FUKN, S/N 456, the Otter I fly today, about 10 years ago. I flew it for three winters on wheel/skis. "Bags of fun", and a good challenge for Louis-Gabriel.............(Photo by "Me".....) Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home