Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 

"Waltz Across Texas, With You"...............

I received an e-mail and some pics the other day from friends who live in Riverton. It seems Barry and Peggy Gudmundson are wintering in Texas, and stumbled across my Blog, so in a round-about way are keeping in touch with home, while they are away (or they just enjoy a lunatic's ramblings). Anyways, I told myself "I bet Barry and Peggy are longing for home, and 'missing the snow and -30*C temps'. I wonder what they are doing down there?" Well, check out the pics, and you tell me if Barry and Peggy are longing for a "Manitoba winter".


"Holy Smokes", while I am up in Riverton thawing frozen water pipes, Barry and Peggy are in Corpus Christi, Texas, taking photographs of,.. of,... of.....AIRPLANES! Posted by Picasa


Fancy that, an F-9 Cougar from the Blue Angels on display. I posted about the Blue Angels 3 days ago............ Posted by Picasa

As if taking photos of some of my favourite aircraft wasn't enough, then they had to tour one of the "storied" WWII aircraft carriers, the Lexington CV-16. While onboard, they took some more photos of some outstanding aircraft on display.


A-6 "Intruder", fantastic all-weather attack aircraft! Posted by Picasa


Beautiful bird, with folding wings for carrier operations! Notice the re-fuelling probe protruding upward forward of the windshield. Posted by Picasa


F-14 "Tomcat"! Posted by Picasa


F-14 Tomcat's "nether regions". Of all the roles performed by different types of aircraft onboard a carrier, the F-14's is the most important. The F-14 can be used in many roles, but it's main purpose is "Fleet protection". Posted by Picasa

So there you have it folks, Barry and Peggy down in Texas, with nothing better to do than tour an aircraft carrier, and photograph airplanes. I know for a fact they would prefer to be in Riverton shovelling snow. I am sure they are having a poor time down there. Anyways, before I go, one last photo that details why the "snowbird duo" are in Texas, and here it is!


"Damn! Barry lost his 'parka'!" Posted by Picasa

All kidding aside, thank you very much for the e-mail and photos, Barry and Peggy, and enjoy your winter in Texas. I am sure the climate there is a nice change from a a "Manitoba winter"! Have fun!

AUDIO - "Waltz Across Texas With You"

(Damn, I love Ernest Tubb, the "Texas Troubadour"!)

"Cheers"!

Comments:
Hey there Steve, those are great pictures....I do have a beef with Barry and Peggy though.....I never got any of those pictures from them..and I'm his sister...what's your secret??
I must admit I'm a bit jealous, although that is probably because I'm not down there enjoying the weather with them.
Great site you have here and I enjoyed the song Waltz Across Texas, With You....
 
Steve:
What a surprise. Here I am, an old bush pilot from northern Ontario with lots of Beaver and Beech 18 time, but very little Otter time, reading your blog as I do every morning, and what is it about, Corpus Christi. I have lived in Corpus for 12 years and love the great weather and friendly people. The Lexington is a familiar shape on our bayfront. Other aviation activities keep our shies full of planes. Naval Air Station Corpus Christi does all the basic and twin engine flight training fror the Navy, Marine Corps and other services. Corpus Christi Army Depot is the largest helicopter overhaul facility in the world, rebuilding helos for all the US armed forces.
The only thing we don't have is a seaplane operator. This would be an ideal location to open a sightseeing float plane operation.
Even with the salt water, I am sure it could be run profitably.
Keep up the good work. As I mentioned earlier, I check your site and Beaver Tails every day.
Bob Ostrom
WGC8522 coastlinerealtor@hotmail.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home