Tuesday, September 20, 2005

 

Two "Damn Fine" Web-Sites.........

I just thought I would finally make mention of 2 exceptional web-sites than I access quite often, and if I had the time, I could get lost in for hours. I would be just like Michael Jackson, thinking he is "Peter Pan", flying around "Neverland". In all seriousness, you can get lost in both web-sites, and time stands still until you look at your watch. Both web-sites are dedicated to de Havilland Canada products, one the DHC-3 Otter, and the other the DHC-2 Beaver. I have about (estimating) 7000 hrs. plus on Otters on wheels, skis, and floats, and 2500 hrs. plus on Beavers, also on wheels, skis, and floats. Both aircraft are just like old friends, and as you fly a specific de Havilland aircraft, it actually develops it's own personality (if you can believe that. It's true).

Anyways, I love flying Otters and Beavers. The experiences, and things I have witnessed, from the cockpit of a de Havilland Otter or Beaver, have shaped who I am, and I have a tremendous mental library of stories and images, the same as all pilots who spend a long time in the bush acquire, and you can see from my "blog", some of the images are outstanding.

So, enough about me. Neil Aird is an aviation artist, and has a passion for compiling historical information and photos about Beavers. He lives in Kingston, Ontario. Ian Butter has the same passion, but his is for Otters. Ian lives in England, but would love to be "flogging" an Otter on the west coast of Canada. Both of these men are doing outstanding work detailing the history of their chosen aircraft, and I think you should meet them. The web-sites they have created speak for themselves, and once you have browsed them both, you will return, feel a kinship with the authors, and feel like you have known them forever. Trust me.

Neil Aird's Web-Site: de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver

Ian Butter's Web-Site: The de Havilland DHC-3 Otter

Outstanding work, men! Russ Bannock, Dick Hiscocks, George Neal, and Fred Buller are all smiling at you, wherever they may be!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home