Saturday, August 20, 2005


"Slowest Saturday" Of The Summer..........

Today was unusual for a Saturday. I had one trip in the Otter to Carroll Lake at 7 AM, and that was it! At our Sub-Base in Bissett, Johnny and "Spanky" had a few trips using the Beaver and Buck-85 with a group of fishermen, a couple of canoers, and a mining crew, but also not too busy. Saturdays are usually extremely busy, so today is the exception. Anyways, I picked up the crew at Carroll Lake and took a photo of a Cessna "amphib 2 by 6", owned by Gary Westerberg!

View from the Otter! Posted by Picasa

I am not big on Cessnas, but this is one nice-looking "Turbo" 206! Posted by Picasa

And then I was back in Silver Falls, flying complete for the day! Unusual! I was invited to the Northway Aviation BBQ being held this afternoon in Arnes, Manitoba, but I have to fly out of Bissett in the morning, so therefore I had to decline the invitation, as it is a 2 hour drive each way to Arnes. I would've liked to have gone, tipped some "wobbly pops", and told some stories that were "complete fabrications", but, oh well, next time!

Last night my friend Doug Burton arrived in Silver Falls in Walter Turbine Otter C-FVQD. VQD is also on "amphibs", and is being used for scheduled service to remote communities. VQD is Serial # 466, and is the last Otter ever made.

Doug taxis VQD into the yard! Posted by Picasa

I hope he brought beer with him!!! Posted by Picasa

Doug parks on the "pad"! Posted by Picasa

Doug "feathers the prop" and shuts down! Yes, then we had some beers! Posted by Picasa

The other day I received a photo by e-mail from my good friend Farin Collins who works for WAMAIR Service And Outfitting. It was entitled "Air Tindi's Wounded Turbo Otter". I thought I would post the photo for all to see. Again, let me say I don't have a "ghoulish desire" to show some "twisted metal", but it is part of life's happenings. Let me also state that Air Tindi is held in high regard in the aviation industry in Canada, and has an outstanding safety record, and operates well-maintained equipment. Here is what happened;


Kevin Allerston
Northern News Services

Yellowknife (June 27/05) - All Archie Buckley could say after watching a floatplane crash on Yellowknife Bay was "Oh shit, we've got to get them the hell out of there."

A Single Otter was taking off from Yellowknife Bay at around 7:15 p.m., carrying seven passengers and two crew members to Blachford Lake Lodge when it stalled and crashed into the bay, coming down on its left side.

First on scene was not Air Tindi staff or the Canadian Coast Guard, but three good samaritans.

Buckley, who lives in a houseboat on Yellowknife Bay, said he has helped rescue many people on the lake over the years.

Friday he was at home with his wife Nancy and son Jack and grandson Bill when the plane crashed.

"We are always looking, always aware of what's going on because we live so close," said Archie.

Buckley got into one boat and his son Jack and grandson Bill got into another and headed towards the plane. Nancy was on the phone right away with Air Tindi to tell them the plane had crashed.

"They didn't know about it," said Archie.

When the Buckleys got to the plane, eight people were already on the pontoon sticking out of the water and a ninth was climbing up.

"We put them all in Jack's boat and brought them to Air Tindi," said Archie. "We asked them if they were all alright and they said they were. We just wanted to get them inside as fast as possible," he said.

Dave Karpon of the Canadian Coast Guard was at the scene shortly after the crash.

"We were there when the people were back on shore. They were in shock, there was a couple of them who had some bruises and sore bones, but other than that they were in good shape," said Karpon.

Passengers and crew were taken to Stanton Territorial Hospital with bumps and bruises, but nothing serious.

Air Tindi office manager Teri Arychuk said they aren't sure exactly how the crash happened.

Shortly after the spill, the captain had everyone evacuated from the front of the craft, she said.

The plane was badly damaged and is now in the Air Tindi hangar.

"I don't have a dollar figure or anything. It will definitely take some time to fix it," Arychuk said.

Transportation Safety Canada is investigating the accident.

- with files from Yose Cormier

Air Tindi's Turbine Otter. She is a major wreck. Glad all 9 aboard were OK!! Posted by Picasa


The Red Bull Air Race from Budapest is over, won by Mike Mangold! He is now 1st, and Peter Besenyei is in 2nd in the overall standings! There were 1.2 million spectators! Yes, 1.2 MILLION! This is a great spectacle! Next race is Oct. 8, 2005, from San Francisco, USA!! Check it out!

Red Bull Air Race World Series - The Fourth Dimension Of Flight

Till next time,

" Sziasztok"..................

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home